- Columbia: Student hit by car; seems to be okay.
- Cornell: Uh, okay – “As spring semester gets under way, the worries of most Cornell seniors are no longer whether the bump on their crotch is an ingrown hair or a herpes sore, but where — and even if — they will work once they graduate.”
- Dartmouth: The Board of Trustees announces layoffs affecting 60 employees.
- Harvard: President pushes artistic careers.
- Princeton: Bicker sends thirteen students to hospitals.
- Yale: Obama adds Yale CIO David Swensen to his Economic Recovery Advisory Board.
The Paper Trail – an education blog for U.S. News & World Report – has once again listed IvyGate as a contender for the best alternative media outlet of the year. Other nominees for the poll, which closes on February 17, include Wesleying, Bwog, The Daily Clog, Mads Vassar, Onward State, Saxa Speak, Timothy Dwight, MiddBlog, and the Critical Badger. Presently we are in last place, with a mere 1.35% of all votes. By contrast, Timothy Dwight – a blog about a certain cult group residential hall at Yale – is leading the polls at 28.72%, and Bwog – the blog of Columbia’s Blue & White – is in second place with 24.9%.
The reasons why IvyGate is being trounced by the likes of a dorm blog at Yale and campus-specific new media rags are numerous. One explanation is that some sites, like Timothy Dwight and Bwog, have posted links to the poll below their mastheads and are urging readers to vote multiple times. Another reason may have to do with the fact that IvyGate content has been conspicuously spare since the beginning of the new semester. This is due to our own laxity – we’re lazy and underpaid (read: paid nothing) – and also because we’ve been sorting out, in a productive way, our various levels of commitment for 2009 and onward.
In short: the hibernation is over and we’re as eager to probe the bizarre depths of higher ed as we’ve ever been. If you’ve got a hot tip or want to write for us – we’re hiring! – email us at email@example.com.
- Brown: Hippie Ivy attempts Super Bowl-related misogyny, fails.
- Brown: Stuff White People Like hosts seminar. No, seriously.
- Columbia: Mystery! NYPD goes Law & Order on a kid during neurobio class. Anyone got details?
- Cornell: BREAKING: College kids sometimes make dirty jokes on Facebook. BREAKING: Old people don’t appreciate this.
- Harvard: Queen of the Rom-Com and sourest face in Hollywood, Renee Zellweger, to be Hasty Pudding honoree
- Penn: Nerdiest story of the day
- Princeton: Katie Couric to be chipper/inspiring at Class Day
- Princeton: Oh look! An entertaining and humorous take on bicker. Rarer than an albino squirrel, almost as majestic.
- Dartmouth: Freshman “caught up in this idea of democracy.” Don’t worry, it’ll pass.
- Yale: A cappella lawsuit settled.